Searing Jumbo Scallops
- 12 Jumbo Scallops, dry packed
- ¼ Canola Oil
- Saffron Aioli (recipe to follow)
- On stove top, heat cast iron skillet with oil on medium high heat.
- Dry and then season scallops with salt and pepper.
- When the oil reaches smoke point (just a wisp of smoke in pan), add the seasoned scallops (note: do not crowd scallops in pan as they will sweat and not sear). Do not move them in the pan, as you want a nice crust on the scallops. Sear for 1 ½ minutes a side.
- Remove from skillet to a platter, cover with tented foil and rest about 3-4 minutes, and then serve.
Saffron Aioli Ingredients
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp saffron tea (recipe to follow)
- 1/2 tsp fresh minced garlic, very fine
- 1/2 tsp sherry vinegar
- 1/4 tsp salt, kosher
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- Whisk all ingredients together in stainless steel bowl. Place in clean container. Refrigerate.
Saffron Tea Ingredients
- 4 Tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp Saffron threads
- FOR SAFFRON TEA: MORE IS NOT BETTER! Measure saffron accurately. Place water and saffron in small saucepan and bring to rolling boil. Cool to room temperature. Place in a clean container. Refrigerate.
Serves 4 entrees, 6 starters.
Recipe by Chef Wayne Johnson of Eat Seattle.
Items for this recipe
You May Also Enjoy These Products
Crab Bisque by Monica Hart of 425 Magazine.
Lunch Snacks Dinner