Recipe by Monica Hart of 425 Magazine.
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 fennel bulb cored, outer part removed, diced
- 2 shallots, diced
- 3 crimini mushrooms, chopped
- 3 tablespoons brandy
- 3/4 teaspoon Pernod
- Zest of half a lemon
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 5 drops of Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon truffle salt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 3 tablespoons double concentrated tomato paste
- 2 cans of tomato soup (10 3/4 ounces, undiluted)
- 1 3/4 cans cream of celery soup
- 3 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup half & half
- 1 pound fresh crabmeat, picked through
- Heat 4 tablespoons olive oil in a heavy pan. Sauté fennel, shallots, and mushrooms in the oil on medium heat until translucent (about 8 minutes).
- Add the brandy, Pernod, truffle salt, Worcestershire, lemon zest, Tabasco, ground pepper, salts, and tomato paste into the pan. Sauté for 5 minutes more.
- Add the tomato and celery soups, and cook over medium heat, stirring until the soup base is heated through.
- Add milk and half & half and whisk until smooth and heated through. Do no boil. Fold in the crab and allow it to heat through for a few minutes.
- Adjust seasonings and consistency to your liking by adding a bit more milk.
- Just before serving, add another splash of brandy. Top with a dollop of creme fraiche, and sprinkle with fresh chopped chives. Serve immediately. (Makes 10 cups).
For more recipes from Monica Hart, follow her on Instagram.
Photo by Studio B Portraits.