Clams with Linguine
Recipe submitted by Serena Burns of www.serenabakessimplyfromscratch.com
- 2 lbs clams
- 1 tablespoon Sea Salt ( to soak the clams in)
- 3 tablespoons Butter
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil or Butter
- 1/2 a large Onion, Chopped Fine
- 4 cloves of Garlic, Crushed or Chopped
- 1 pinch Red Pepper Flakes, Adjust According to Taste
- 1 cup White Wine, (Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio work well)
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 pound Linguine, Cooked in Salted Water until 1 minute short of al dente and save 3 cup cooked Pasta Water, Reserved
- 1 Bunch Parsley, Chopped
- 1 whole Lemon, Juiced
- 1 whole Lemon, Sliced for Garnish
- 1 cup Parmigiano Reggiano, or to taste
- Take a large bowl and fill it with water, add the 1 tablespoon sea salt and stir to dissolve. Add clams and allow to sit in the refrigerator for a few hours so the clams with release the silt and sand.
- Place a large pot on the stove fill with water and bring to boil. Salt water well. Cook pasta in water until 1 minute short of al dente. Reserve 3 cups cooked pasta water for sauce.
- Mean while....
In a large pan add butter and olive oil. Heat over medium high heat until hot and add onion. Saute until onion is caramelized. Add garlic and red pepper flakes cook about 2 minutes until garlic is fragrant be careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add white wine and reduce about 2 minutes. Add salt and clams, toss to coat. Add pasta and 2 cups reserved pasta water. Cover and cook about 3 to 4 minutes until all the clams have opened, if 1 or 2 clams are left unopened discard and do not eat those.
- At this point if the pasta has absorbed to much water add more pasta water as needed, to moisten the pasta. Add parsley and lemon juice, toss to serve. Garnish with lemon slices and parmigiano reggiano.
Items for this recipe
Just in case you will forget about...