Grilled Prawns with Beans and Miner's Lettuce
- 1 cup dried white beans, such as controne or cannellini, soaked in cold water overnight
- 1 shallot, peeled
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 medium carrot, peeled
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 16 jumbo prawns, peeled and deveined
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups loosely packed miner's lettuce leaves, all stems removed
- Zest of 1/2 a lemon
- Juice of 1 lemon
- First, cook the beans: Place the drained beans, shallot, celery, carrot and garlic in a heavy-bottomed pot and add water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil, reduce temperature to a simmer and cook beans until tender, about 30 to 40 minutes. Once beans are cooked, cool by placing the entire pot in the refrigerator until cold. When cold, strain the beans, discard the aromatics and set the beans aside in a large work bowl until needed.
- Next, grill the prawns: Preheat grill. Season the prawns with salt and pepper, and brush with about a tablespoon of the olive oil. Grill until just starting to char on each side, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from grill and set aside at room temperature until the rest of the dish is made.
- Finally, make the miner's lettuce pure: Place 2 cups of the miner's lettuce leaves, the lemon zest, 14 cup of the extra virgin olive oil and a pinch of salt in the base of a small blender. Whirl on high speed until just pured. Check and adjust seasoning, set aside. To serve, add the miner's lettuce pure to the cooked white beans, mix thoroughly, adjust seasoning and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, toss the other 2 cups miner's lettuce with the lemon juice and remaining 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide the beans between four salad plates, arrange the prawns on top of the beans and place the miner's lettuce salad on top of the prawns.
- Serve immediately.
Items for this recipe
Just in case you will forget about...