Skinny Fish and Chip Cakes
- 1 pound tilapia or any firm white fish
- 1 (12 oz) can or bottle light beer
- 1½ cups (2½ oz) crushed reduced-fat potato chips, such as Baked Lays
- ½ cup scallions, chopped
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup malt vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Dijon or yellow mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- In large pan, add fish and beer. Poach over medium heat for about 3 minutes. Turn fish over and continue to poach about 2-3 minutes until fish flakes easily with a fork. Remove to a plate and discard liquid.
- In a food processor, add fish, potato chips, scallions, egg, vinegar, garlic, mustard, salt and pepper. Pulse until minced and blended.
- Using ¼ cup measure, scoop to make 12 cakes. Each cake will be slightly smaller than the full measuring cup. Shape into ½ inch thick patties.
- Coat a large nonstick pan with cooking spray. Heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil in the pan. Add all the patties and cook over medium heat about 2 minutes per side until golden brown.
- To make the coleslaw-In a large bowl add all the ingredients and toss well to coat.
- To Serve-Place 3 fish cakes on each plate. Serve each with lemon slices and vinegar on the side for dipping. Add about 1 cup Honey Mustard Coleslaw to each plate.
- These fish cakes will keep for 2 days. Reheat in a nonstick pan on each side until hot.
- Serves 4 (3 fish cakes per serving)
Items for this recipe
Just in case you will forget about...