Guajillo Wild Salmon with Chipotle Cream
Recipe curated by Teatro ZinZanni Seattle's Chef Erik Carlson.
- 4 portions, 6 ounces each, Wild King Salmon, Skin off pin bones out
- 1 cup heavy cream (whipping cream)
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chilies in adobo, coarse chop
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon good quality salt (We use pink Himalayan salt at Teatro ZinZanni)
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated onion (onion powder will work)
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons cold water
- In a heavy bottomed sauce pot, slowly simmer all ingredients (except the cornstarch and water) for 15 minutes. Do not scald.
- Once cooked either use a stick blender or pour sauce in a blender. (If using a blender, be very careful as hot liquids in a blender want to blow that lid off the thing and make a huge mess for you. Just make sure and leave a small air gap to release hot air.) Puree all ingredients together.
- Place sauce back in pot and bring to a simmer.
- In a small bowl mix the cornstarch and the water together to create a ’slurry’. Pour in to the simmering sauce and whisk in completely. This will thicken the sauce right away.
- Remove from heat and hold warm for serving. (This makes a little over a cup, so about 1.5 to 2 ounces per serving.)
- 1 pound butter, unsalted and softened to room temp, do not melt.
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon smoked salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked black pepper
- 1 TBL ground Guajillo pepper (You can use Guajillo powder instead)
- In a food processor mix all ingredients together very well.
- Scoop out the butter and place on a piece of parchment paper in a kind of skinny log form, roll in the paper.
- Now you can slice off as much or as little as you would like.
- If wrapped well in plastic these butter logs can be frozen for later use.
- Place salmon on baking pan and place 1 ounce of Guajillo butter on each piece.
- Place in a 350 oven for approximately 8 minutes. This will be around medium rare (delicious!!) cook an additional 3-4 minutes if you desire it cooked through.
- Remove from the oven, place on a plate, and spoon butter over fish then top with Chipotle cream.
- Serve with some yummy sides (We do sweet chilies and arancini) Enjoy!
You May Also Enjoy These Products
Salmon is not just popular and a favorite to fish lovers, but also enjoyed by those who rarely eat fish mainly because it contains healthful benefits. Having classified as an oily fish, it also has exceptional nutritional value containing omega-3 fatty acids, high protein and amino acid.
Arrange prawns on 2 plates, pour sauce over and garnish with frizee.
My Rating For This Item
Flavor Texture Aroma
Dec 28, 2014
Chef Erik's Amazing T.Z. salmon and cream
This was my favorite part of the show! I could hardly focus on the act because this salmon was so divine!