How To Perfectly Sear Fresh Fish
- 4 approx. 7 ounce fillets (1 1/2-2" thick) of Halibut, Salmon or Ahi Tuna
- 4 tsp Salt, kosher
- 1 tsp Pepper, black, fresh ground
- 1/4 cup Canola oil
- On stove top heat cast iron skillet with oil on medium high heat.
- Dry and then season fillets with salt and pepper.
- When the oil reaches smoke point (just a wisp of smoke in pan) add the seasoned fillets.
- Sear for 4 minutes a side (until the internal temperature reaches 140˚ for halibut, 130˚ for salmon and tuna, you can even go a little rarer on the tuna).
- Remove from skillet to a platter, cover with tented foil and rest about 5-7 minutes, and then serve.
Serve one half pound fillet per person.
Recipe by Chef Wayne Johnson of Eat Seattle.