Lemongrass Ginger Beer Blanc
For The Fish:
- 2 lbs Pure Food Fish Copper River Salmon- Skin on. Portioned into 6 oz fillets
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp Grapeseed Oil or any other high heat oil
For The Sauce
- 1 leek- finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic- sliced
- 2 lemon grass stalks- ends trimmed and sliced
- Healthy pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 lime leaves (optional)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- 3/4 C ginger beer
- ½ C coconut cream
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp orange peel (cut off the orange with a knife with no white pith)
- 6 tbsp butter
- 5-6 Thai basil leaves- sliced
- Salt and pepper
- Salt the fish and let sit for 20 minutes covered in fridge. Take out of fridge 5 minutes before using. Pre-heat oven to 325.
- Sautee finely chopped leek, sliced garlic, lemon grass and salt in 2 tbsp olive oil until leeks are soft and translucent (about 5-7 minutes). Add lemon juice, orange juice and ½ cup of ginger beer. Increase heat to get a strong boil and reduce half way. Reduce heat to medium low and add heavy cream, honey and orange peel. Keep at a low simmer for 15 minutes to infuse the orange flavor.
- Take off heat and strain liquid. Place back in saucepan. Over low heat whisk in cold cubed butter. Hold sauce until fish is ready. When read to serve, taste and add more salt if desired. Add sliced basil then spoon onto plate.
- In a non-stick oven proof pan (non-stick cast iron is a good option) heat up oil. Add ground pepper to filets. Once oil is very hot add the fish filets skin side down. Move pan to ensure the skin doesn’t stick. Cook for 1-2 minutes until brown then flip onto flesh side to cook for another 1-2 minutes. Once both sides are browned, flip back onto skin side. Drizzle a little more oil over fish to ensure it doesn’t dry out in oven then cook for 4 minutes at 325.
- Remove from oven and serve with sauce
- Prep time 10 minutes. Cooking time 25 minutes. Serves 4-6.
Recipe by Liz McCune of www.EatSeattleTours.com.