Pan Seared Halibut With Mint Pea Puree
- 4 halibut filets, 6 oz each skin removed
- 1.5 cured ham diced in ‘1/4” chunks
Pea Puree Ingredients
- 2 C English Peas (fresh preferred but frozen work)
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 Sprig Mint. Leaves removed (6-8 leaves)
- 1 tsp Salt
Pickled Red Onions Garnish Ingredients
- ½ C red onions- sliced
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- ½ C white vinegar
- 2 T white sugar
- 1 T salt Peppercorns
Pickled Red Onions Garnish Directions
- In sauce pan heat add vinegar, sugar, and salt and bring to a simmer. Once simmering, turn off stove and pour over onions and garlic in bowl. Let sit 15-20 minutes until cool.
- Season the Halibut on all sides with salt. Heat sauté pan over medium high heat. Once pan is hot add the extra virgin olive oil. The oil should be hot enough that it starts to smoke a little. This is when you're ready to add the fish. Add the fish and lower the heat to medium. It's time to remove the fish when you get a golden crust to a sheet pan. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Roast your fish in the oven until the internal temp. is 130 degrees f (4 minutes).
- Preparing your side dish: pan fry ham until browned on each side. Add ½ c of blanched peas to warm.
- Platting: add a spoonful of pea puree to plate, add the side of ham and warmed peas, top with halibut. Garnish with red onion and pea greens (optional).
Recipe by Chef Liz McCune, founder of Eat Seattle.