Spiced Jumbo Shrimp with Smoked Gouda Grits
- 1 cup corn grits
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup smoked gouda, grated
- 1 small jalapeño, deseeded and minced
- 1 pound shrimp
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 limes
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring 4 cups of water to boil in a small sauce pan. Once boiling slowly stir in grits and reduce heat to a simmer. Add in butter, the minced jalapeño and a few pinches of salt. Cook, stirring, until water is fully absorbed, about 15 minutes. Once all the water is absorbed, stir in milk and cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, toss shrimp in a bag with paprika, garlic powder, oregano, cayenne and a pinch of salt. Seal bag and shake well to combine.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive on medium-high heat in a sauté pan or cast-iron skillet. Once hot, remove shrimp from bag and cook, turning only once, until cooked through and pink on each side, about 5 minutes. Remove shrimp from heat, season with salt and set aside.
- Deglaze the pan with the juice of one lime, dislodge any fond at bottom of pan and pour over shrimp.
- Spoon grits into a bowl or plate. Top with shrimp and garnish with cilantro.
Prep time: 20 minutes. Cook time: 30 minutes. Serves 2.
Recipe by Renee Frojo of www.MakeItLikeAChef.com.