Smoked Salmon Chowder
- 4 oz Bacon, small diced
- 1 leek, sliced
- 3 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes, do not peel, medium dice
- ¼ C Cognac
- 3 Qt Chicken stock
- 8 oz Clam Juice
- 1 Pt. Heavy cream
- 1 tsp Thyme, dried
- 8 oz Smoked Salmon
- Garnish: Parsley, minced Salt & Pepper Serve with sliced baguette, toasted
- Sauté bacon in heavy saucepan, add onions after 2-3 minutes. Continue until translucent. Deglaze pan with Cognac scrapping up the brown fond.
- Add 2/3 the potatoes and cook for 3-4 minutes. They should just start to breakdown on the outside. Add 2qt. chicken stock, bring to a low boil, continue until potatoes are cooked.
- Remove from heat. Add dried thyme, then using an emersion blender, blend into a smooth thick mixture. There should be no chunks.
- Add the other 1/3 of the potatoes, clam juice and the rest of the chicken stock. Simmer until potatoes are done.
- Add cream slowly until the right balance of creaminess is reached. Finley mince 1 bunch of parsely and add. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve into bowls. Top with about 1oz. smoked Salmon, crumbled, and garnish with parsley.
Recipe by Chef Marty of Eat Seattle.