White Wine Braised Halibut with English Peas and Asparagus
- 4 - 6oz Halibut filets, skin off
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 Lemon - save 1 T of juice, slice the rest
- 2 Garlic Cloves, sliced
- 2 Shallots thinly sliced
- 1 C white wine
- 3 Sprigs of Thyme
- 1 bunch of Asparagus, trimmed
- 1 C English Peas, shucked
- Salt and pepper
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Blanching: In a pot, bring salted water to a boil, add asparagus and cook for 60 seconds.
- Add the peas to this pot and cook for 60 more seconds. Drain both and submerge in an ice bath (ice and water).
- In a dutch oven or cast iron, heat olive oil over high heat. Add the lemon slices until they're browned and turn them to brown both sides. Remove them from the pan and place them onto a plate. Reduce heat to low and bloom (soak) the garlic and shallot in the remaining olive oil over low heat (do not burn) for 4 minutes. Add the white wine and thyme sprigs, fish, and season. Braise in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and delicately add the asparagus and peas to the pan. Place the charred lemons and braise in the oven for 5 more minutes. Serve warm.
Recipe by Chef Liz McCune, founder of Eat Seattle.